Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gamer's Girlfriend



My Girlfriend is not a Gamer, no RPGs, no video games. This is my continuing mission to change that. She is a young professional, a excellent cook and a very indulgent girlfriend but not a gamer and I being a moderately obsessive gamer saw this as a possible deal breaker. So first I had to explain to her what a Role-playing game is.

G.F: What is Dungeons and Dragons?

B.G.: It's a Role-playing Game

G.F: Is that where a bunch of geeks hang out in a basement and pretend to cast spells on each other?

B.G.: No, Darlin' That is not how it goes.

I could see I was going to need some help so I secretly purchased Shelley Mazzanobles book "Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons and Dragons Game"

It arrived a few days later and I explained to my girlfriend that I got her a present. I gave her the book knowing that I would have the time to read it before she ever moved it off her nightstand. So that night I quietly lifted her "present" from her nightstand and begain to read. It was wonderful, full of humor and easily accesible to someone whose closest experience to role-playing happens planning dinner parties. Needless to say I was impressed.

Apparently my girlfriend was impressed too. She begain reading and finished it in record time. All of a sudden, she had questions about character classes and the benefits of the different races. I was in heaven:)

There will be more to come...

No comments: